Oh. Wow. These were absolutely incredible. I had the s'mores recipe bookmarked (from my favorite blog) for a while and was excited to make them up for NYE. Glen and Sarah came over and they love trying out my baked goods. The s'mores bars took literally about 10 minutes to make (not counting the 4 hours to set) and were incredible. My only complaint? Eat over a plate or napkin. Otherwise, you will be cleaning up graham cracker crumbs all night!
adapted from Annie's Eats (link above) who adapted from Williams Sonoma
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 6 whole graham crackers (or 1 cup pre-crushed graham cracker crumbs)
- ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 2 whole graham crackers or 1 cup mini-graham cracker shapes
- Line an 8-inch square baking dish with aluminum foil so that the foil hangs over the sides.
- Grease the foil with butter or Baking cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the 3 tablespoons butter.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Put the 6 whole graham crackers into a zippered plastic bag.
- Press out the air and seal the bag.
- Using a rolling pin or your hands, crush the cookies to make tiny crumbs. You should have about 1 cup. (Alternatively, use your food processor to crush the cookies into crumbs.) (I use the pre-crushed grahams; much easier.)
- Add the crumbs to the melted butter and stir with a wooden spoon until blended.
- Scrape the crumbs into the baking pan.
- Lay a piece of plastic wrap loosely over the crumbs.
- Use your hand over the plastic wrap to spread the crumbs to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Press down firmly to make a solid even layer.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the condensed milk and chocolate chips.
- Heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla and salt until blended.
- Pour the filling over the graham cracker crust and spread evenly with the spoon.
- Scatter the marshmallows evenly over the chocolate filling and press them in gently.
- Break the 2 whole graham crackers into little pieces and stick the broken crackers or mini-cracker shapes into the filling among the marshmallows.
- Cover and refrigerate the bars until they are firm, about 4 hours.
- To serve, lift the foil from the pan and set the smore square on a cutting board. Peel the foil away from the sides and cut the square into rectangles.
- Keep refrigerated until just before serving. Yield: 12 servings.