I was looking for a recipe that used the ingredients that I used for the Quinoa salad. I had a ton of leftover ingredients and knew that I must make something with them or else they would sit there and go unloved. I stumbled upon this recipe for a mango and black rice chicken salad.
The recipe is from the Delicious Living magazine (which I normally pick up at Kowalski's) and they described the salad as pretty hearty and nutritious. "Lean proteins, including skinless chicken, are low in artery-clogging saturated fat. Paired with whole grains for antioxidants and fiber, pine nuts for monounsaturated fats, and beta-carotene-packed mangoes, and you have a nutrient-rich lunch or supper." Woah, YUM!
The description of the recipe sounded pretty appealing, so I decided to give it a go. And, I'm glad that I did! This recipe is very good and very easy. I cooked up some chicken while I was simmering the rice and lunch was on the table in about 55 minutes. Total hands-on time was probably about 10 minutes. I used the seven whole grain pilaf blend from Seeds of Change. The nuttiness of the pilaf definitely adds a necessary texture to this salad.
adapted from Delicious Living magazine
Yield: Serves 4
- 1 cup black rice, black and mahogany rice blend, or brown rice blend
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup mango nectar, divided
- 8 ounces cooked chicken breast, chopped (leftover or skinless rotisserie chicken is fine)
- I cooked up 16 ounces to shred. I divided in half and gave half to Ron :)
- 3/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups diced ripe mango
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- I also added some chopped walnuts. I had about 1/16 cup of pine nuts. Really?? Argh.
- Combine rice, water, and 1/4 cup mango nectar in a saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Cover & simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Drain, if needed, and cool.
- Place chicken in large serving bowl.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup mango nectar and 1/8 tsp pepper and toss to mix.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in diced mango and next five ingredients (green onion through oil) and toss gently to mix.
- Add salt, remaining 1/4 tsp pepper, and pin nuts; toss.
- Stir in 2 cups cooled rice (if remaining, reserve for another use).
- Serve and enjoy!