Microwaveable rice has become so popular. If you head into the rice section, there are endless options for effectiveness. The flavors are improving too! I recently saw one for caribbean red beans and brown rice. And, while I'm not advocating for always eating rice that is prepared in this way, I am advocating for it if you are rushing out the door and need something quick to eat! It is much better than stopping at a fast food joint.
This week has been kind of crazy. I've been home a lot, but I really haven't moved from the office because I'm preparing for a final. Kitchen time is short on these days because my mind is on overload. It is times like these that recipes fail because I can't follow simply instructions. It reminds me of my pre-kitchen days. I was studying for the LSAT and trying to make a box of mashed potatoes. Not only did I mess the recipe up once. But, I messed it up 3 TIMES. For a box of mashed potatoes! There are only like 3 ingredients that you use! Argh, so I learned my lesson. Still, this doesn't give me an excuse to eat cereal for lunch. So, here is another one of my individual quick lunches. The end result? Something hearty, nutritious and delicious! It took about . . . 3 minutes to make (my veggies were precut from another meal earlier). I suggest you try. It can easily be adapted by whatever rice, vegetables or mix-ins you want. 3 minutes! Everyone has 3 minutes!
Brown Rice & Quinoa w/ Peppers and Broccoli
- 1 c of Seeds of Change Quinoa and Brown Rice microwave blend (reserve remaining rice for evening use or use all for a hearty lunch!) Any microwave blend can be used in place of this.
- 1/2 c carrot
- 2/3 c broccoli florets
- 2/3 c chopped red and green bell pepper
- 1/4 c feta cheese
- Fresh Parsley
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Nuts (walnuts or pine nuts would taste good), if desired
- Cook rice according to package.
- Put vegetables in bowl and mix with cooked rice.
- Sprinkle feta, parsley and nuts. Enjoy!