This recipe appealed to me because of all of the nutrients that are packed in. It was created by a nutrition professor at Boston University. I originally clipped it from a Runner's World magazine as a good meal to eat to refuel postrun/postride. It is packed with vegetables, carbs and protein. It turned out so good! The only problem is the amount that it makes. I will be eating this stuff for an entire week! Here's to hoping it restores whatever is wrong in my body :)
Pasta Bean Toss
adapted from Runner's World
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 lb whole-grain penne
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 5 carrots, cut julienne-style
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 C raw broccoli florets
- 12 ripe plum (roma) tomatoes, diced
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tbsp fresh basil or parsley, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans
- 1 15-ounce can white kidney beans
- 1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package.
- Meanwhile, saute onions and garlic in oil until tender in large frying pan (about 2 minutes).
- Add remaining veggies, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, and basil or parsley. Simmer for 4 minutes.
- Add beans and simmer for 2 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Add pasta and cheese, and toss.