But, even though I love grocery shopping, unfortunately for my wallet, I lack restraint. So, if I run to the store to pick up "just some bell peppers" I end up leaving with the milk that I kind of needed, the bread that I am almost out of and the 12 cartons of single serve ice cream that I was suddenly craving. Like many people, what should be $10 trips turn into $50 trips. And, those add up.
So, this week is restricted to what is in the cabinets, fridge and freezer. Aside from the vegetables I already have, I won't be buying fresh vegetables, but I have plenty of frozen vegetables. Though not ideal, they will work just fine and I'll end up saving them a life sentence of freezer burn.
My first attempt at using up household ingredients was a Thai inspired meal that I've been wanting to try. I crave peanuts and Ron's been excited to eat this meal. Overall, it turned out pretty good. The original recipe called for Soba noodles but I used about 10 oz of WW linguine that I had on hand. I can imagine Soba noodles tasting very good with this recipe. I used 1 tsp of red pepper flakes and boy did it add a kick to the sauce! If you want something mild, I'd suggest adding .5 tsp or leaving it out completely. I'd also suggest pairing this with a side salad. I ate my noodles on some spinach leaves. The sauce is so thick that I needed something green to balance it out!
I think the only downfall to this recipe was that it made me realize that I am out of honey and soy sauce! Argh!! Must exercise restraint not to run to store to buy these items.
Peanut Noodles with Chicken
adapted from Cooking Light
Yield: 6 servings, 1 cup each
- 1 carrot, peeled (I used about 1 c of matchstick carrots)
- 1/3 c FF, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 c peanut butter
- 1 tbsp chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 - 2 tsp crushed red pepper (added too much kick. Use 0-.5 tsp for milder flavor)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast (cooked and shredded or cooked and cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 5 c cooked soba noodles (about 10 ounces - I used WW linguine)
- 6 tbsp sliced green onions
- 6 tbsp chopped, unsalted, dry roasted peanuts
- Cook chicken and shred/cut as desired. Set aside.
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Combine 1/3 c broth, peanut butter, ginger, soy sauce, honey, pepper, and garlic in a large bowl. Stir with a whisk until smooth.
- Add cooked chicken, carrots and noodles to peanut sauce. Toss to coat.
- Sprinkle individual servings with onions and peanuts.