I've been making this recipe for a while now, but I don't remember where I got it. What I do know is that this recipe is amazing. We eat this meal at least once a month. I know I found the recipe online somewhere and used a bunch of reader comments to make, what I thought to be, the best sounding. It just so happened to turn out to be the best tasting!
It's soooo good and so easy. Just throw it in the crockpot! You can use any bbq sauce you like (I like Famous Dave's Sweet and Tangy) but we have used it w/ various other kinds. This recent meal was made with Byerly's original. It was also very, very good. I normally make a small thing of cole slaw to eat with it, but I decided against it this time for some reason. This would be SO good with corn on the cob or other traditional bbq fare. I've made it two ways: 1) with partially defrosted chicken breasts and 2) with frozen chicken breasts. Either way works. You can also do all of the prep at one time (and omit the chicken broth steps) instead of in 2 separate sections. (I just find that I prefer the flavors that come from the chicken broth and the 1-2 hours to soak up the BBQ.)
Crockpot Chicken BBQ
adapted from ??
- About 1 lb half-defrosted skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- You can use also use frozen.
- Seasoning: garlic powder, salt & pepper
- 1 can of chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle of BBQ sauce
- 1/2 c italian salad dressing
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Provolone cheese slices
- Hamburger buns
- Cole slaw and toppings, if desired
- Place chicken in crockpot.
- Rub seasoning on chicken and coat both sides.
- Pour chicken broth in crockpot (it's fine if some seasoning comes off).
- Cover and cook:
- If using partially defrosted, cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
- If using frozen, cook on high for 4.5 hours or low for 6.5 hours.
- Once chicken is almost cooked, mix together the BBQ sauce, dressing, brown sugar and Worcestershire. Set aside.
- Once cooked, shred chicken with 2 forks.
- Pour BBQ mixture over chicken and let chicken cook on low for another 1-2 hours.
- Serve on buns with cheese and desired toppings.