So, I'm happy to say that I was able to cross this off of my list last night. After a loooonnnggg day, I wanted to get into zen mode. So after my neighbors went to bed and ended whatever circus they were having downstairs, I decided to whip this up. Granted, it was 10:30 at night, but I put on some classical music and there we go. Wow, baking at night is awesome! What a way to calm down and relax. Plus, it gives you something delicious to wake up to for breakfast.
I made some changes to the recipe to keep the nutritional stats down. I often do this when I have an inkling that I am going to really enjoy something. If I don't, I'll end up eating the entire thing. This way, I can eat larger than normal portions and not feel as terrible about it. Despite the changes that I made (listed below with the original recipe so you can see what I did), this bread did NOT fall short. I could not taste the difference (then again, I haven't made the 'real' version) and it is incredible. I love the taste of baked apples inside the bread and the cinnamon is just enough spice to add a ton of flavor (though, I might try experimenting with some ginger or nutmeg, etc). I used buckwheat flour, which is distinctively nutty, and it paired so well with the spice and nuts in the bread. This will definitely be added to my rotating quick-bread list.
P.S. I could not get a decent picture of this bread.
Cinnamon Apple and Oatmeal Bread
adapted from Closet Cooking
Yield: One 9x5 loaf
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/4 c maple syrup
- Or substitute with 1/4 c honey or agave nectar
- (I used a SF maple syrup blend)
- 3/4 c vanilla yogurt
- (I used 1 carton of Dannon's light and fit toasted coconut yogurt; that's what I had)
- 1/4 c apple sauce
- (I used 1 carton (about 1/2 c) of unsweetened applesauce and omitted the oil)
- 1/4 c oil
- 1 egg
- 3/4 c rolled oats
- 1 c WW flour
- 3/4 c AP flour
- (I used buckwheat flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 c apples (peeled, cored and cut into bite sized pieces)
- (I used 2 medium sized pink lady apples)
- 1/2 c raisins
- (I left out of my bread)
- 1/2 c pecan (chopped)
- (I used chopped walnuts)
- 1 handful rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Mix the brown sugar, syrup, yogurt, apple sauce, oil, egg and rolled oats in a bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Mix the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together. Mix in apples, raisins and nuts until just mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into the greased loaf pan.
- Sprinkle oats on top.
- Bake in preheated oven at 375F until a toothpick pushing into the center comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes.
Post a Comment