I am so terribly clumsy. In the past week, I have found 4 large bruises that occurred simply because I bump into things. Perhaps the worst bruise came from the fall I had while walking down our stairs the other night. It was dark, I was groggy. Ron was on the couch. I was coming down the stairs and underestimated where I was. I missed 2 steps! TWO! I was a full foot and a half away from the floor, yet I decided to somehow step, fall and take out another piece of furniture in the process. The pain was ridiculous! I landed hard on my left hip and somehow twisted my right knee. I also scraped the whole underneath of my left elbow. I don't think Ron knew what to do. He jumped up and was just in a state of shock because the entire house seemed to move when I fell. I was crying hysterically, but also laughing hysterically. I still don't know what happened.
As I was sore the next day, I had more time to spend in the kitchen because I couldn't seem to walk correctly. I was looking for a summer flavor with hearty ingredients. I decided on this salad because I had everything on hand. What an incredible recipe! The flavors were awesome and I loved the citrus dressing. I added some cranberries and golden raisins to add a bit more fruity texture. (I'm lying. I added them because I was gathering my seeds from a trail mix blend and I was too lazy to take out the dried fruit.) It ended up tasting delicious and I loved the extra energy boost.
Oh yea. See that diced bell pepper? Yep. You can pretty much assume that anytime a recipe calls for anything diced, part of my finger will be diced in the process. This recipe was no exception.
adapted from Skillet Chronicles
- 1 cup raw Wild Rice blend, or any mixture of brown rice
- 1/3 cup hulled raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup raw unsalted almonds, pecans or cashews
- 1/3 cup hulled raw sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries and golden raisins
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook rice according to package directions. Once cooked, transfer to a medium bowl and set aside to cool slightly.
- While the rice is cooking, toast nuts and seeds, if desired, in a small skillet over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, mix garlic, ginger, orange zest, sugar, rice vinegar and orange juice for vinaigrette. Slowly mix in oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add pumpkin seeds, nuts, sunflower seeds, cranberries, raisins, bell pepper and parsley to bowl with rice. Dress with vinaigrette and serve.