This bread takes minutes to put together. Most of the work involved is cutting up the peppers. I didn't use roasted red peppers for my bread like the original recipe requested. I knew I'd have enough trouble getting Ron to eat a bread that had green specks in it, so the red would certainly be a challenge. I did use the green pepper but he couldn't tell the difference. This bread is delicious. Ron cut up chunks to eat with his chili. I've never seen him so excited to eat leftovers, but I'm happy to know that the entire meal was a success.
Homemade by Holman
- 2 cups AP flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 3 jalepeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper, diced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray an 8" x 4" loaf pan with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, pepper, and cheese. Toss together and make a well in the center.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, oil, and egg and whisk together. Pour mixture into well in center of flour and stir mix together lightly with a wooden spoon.
- Add peppers and stir just until dry ingredients are all combined. The batter will be lumpy.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake bread for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then turn out of pan and cool completely on a wire rack.