Pampered Chef: It's Good for You
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound hot italian turkey sausage (about 4 links) (You can also use a spicy chicken sausage that is precooked and simply reheat it in the skillet per the directions in Step 2.)
- 1 each: medium green, red and yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes in sauce, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tsp italian season
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat 14-16 minutes or until sausage is lightly browned and no longer pink, turning occasionally. Remove sausages from skillet; cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces and set aside.
- In same skillet, cook bell peppers, onion and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until peppers are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Add sausage, tomatoes, tomato sauce and seasoning mix. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
- Place pasta in large bowl; pour sauce mixture over pasta, tossing to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.