Mom loves chocolate covered brazil nuts. We get them for her every year around her birthday and the holidays. She also loves almond joy candy bars. So, I decided to celebrate mom's birthday by making her a cookie she would love and shipping it to her to enjoy on her special day! These cookies were very, VERY good. I call them brazil nut joy cookies because they are similar to an almond joy, but they use brazil nuts. Go figure. You could easily sub in almond for the brazil nuts, but I'd suggest adding some more coconut (or even coconut extract) if you are a fan of the stuff!
adapted from Taste of Home
Yield: 4 1/2 - 5 dozen
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups AP flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups chopped brazil nuts
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time and beating after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Sift together flour, salt, and baking soda. Slowly add to the wet ingredients and stir until combined.
- Fold in chopped nuts, coconut, and chocolate.
- Using a rounded teaspoon, drop cookies 2" apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 11-14 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.
- Cool completely on wire racks.