Wild Rice and Butternut Squash Salad
- 1 cup Wild Rice mix
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2/3 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced thin
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thin
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- Steps 2 and 3 take about the same amount of time to complete, so prepare them at the same time.
- Heat oven 400 degrees. Place cubed butternut squash on a sheet pan. Roast for 30-35 minutes.
- Cook the wild rice according to package directions. Or, add 2 cups of water and a dash of oil. Bring to a boil. Turn heat down to medium-low, cover, and simmer until water has been absorbed, about 45-50 minutes.
- After rice and squash have cooked, heat a wide skillet on medium-low. Gently toast pecans until aromatic, but watch carefully so they don't burn. This should take about 1 minute. Transfer nuts to a plate and reserve.
- Turn heat up to medium-high, add oil, and saute the onions and garlic until soft. Add celery, carrot, and red pepper flakes and stir-fry for about 3 minutes. Then, remove from heat and add cooked rice, squash, thyme, cranberries and pecans.
- Add salt and pepper, toss to combine, and enjoy!