Savory Corn and Pepper Bites
from Dorie Greenspan: Baking from My Home to Yours
Yield: 12 bites (of muffins)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal (stone ground is best)
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 small jalepeno, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. If making muffins, like 12 muffin cups with liners. Alternatively, line a baking sheet with parchment paper if making bites.
- Whisk together flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar, baking powder, chili powder, baking soda, and black pepper; set aside.
- In another large bowl, lightly whisk egg yolk, buttermilk, and butter until blended.
- Pour liquid into the dry ingredients (mixture will be thick).
- Fold in corn kernels, minced and diced peppers, and cilantro.
- Divide batter evenly (in muffin tins or as bites) and bake for 20-25 minutes or until tops are brown.
- Cool on a rack before serving. Enjoy!