The cats ate one half of the cake. And then they ran around the house like they were on drugs. I was highly annoyed, but I chose just to cut off the parts that I knew they had attacked. Honestly, we might have been eating cake that had been stepped on, but we didn't care. This cake was so good. It's no wonder the cats ate so much of it!
Browned Butter Birthday Cake
from Honey and Jam
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup browned butter* (see step #3)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 5 oz good quality bittersweet chocolate
- 8 Tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp baking cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 4-8 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two cake pans or two cupcake pans.
- Beat sugar and eggs together until slightly thickened, about one minute.
- *Brown butter: Heat pan on medium heat. Cut butter in to pieces and melt in pan. Stir continuously. Butter will begin to foam up. After foam subsides, small brown flecks will start to appear in bottom of pan. Continue stirring, until butter has reached a nice brown color, and a nutty aroma. Turn the heat all of the way down. (This will take anywhere from 5-7 minutes.)
- Add milk, browned butter, and vanilla, to sugar and egg mixture. Stir just until combined.
- Add flour and baking powder, beating until well mixed -- about one minute. Do not over mix.
- Bake in preheated oven. For cake, bake for about 30 minutes. For cupcakes, bake for about 20-22 minutes. When done, the top will be springy to touch and a toothpick inserted into the center will come out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Beat in butter until creamy.
- Add powdered sugar, baking cocoa, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Slowly beat in milk 1 Tbsp at a time until you reach desired consistency.
The part about the cats with the cake is absolutely fabulous! I know it must have been frustrating, but I can't say I blame them! The cake sounds amazing! I admit I laughed pretty hard when I imagined Cali and Salem trotting around the house with a face full of crumbs. The girls have done this sort of thing, too. But, instead of crumbs, we once busted Cordie with an entire Bit o' Honey in her chin hair!!! Lol.ReplyDelete
Oh my gosh! How did you get all of the candy out of her fur?? Awww!! Those things are SO sticky!! Lol!!ReplyDelete