basic formula is pretty simple and SO easy to adapt:
Rolled Grains (2 1/2 cups total): Old Fashioned Oats, Rye flakes, Barley flakes, etc.
Nuts, Seeds and Spices (1 cup total): Almonds, walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla extract, etc.
Sticky Sweetener (1/3 cup + 1/4 cup total): Honey, Molasses, Agave, Maple Syrup, etc.
Dried Fruit (1 cup total): Raisins, Dates, Cranberries, Pineapple, Cherries, etc.
Binder (1 cup total): Apple butter, Peanut Butter, Almond butter, Unsweetened applesauce, pureed dried fruit, etc.
This was the combination that I tried the first time I made them. They were pretty sticky and sweet, but totally delicious!
Maple Pecan Pineapple Raisin Granola Bars
inspired by Brown Eyed Baker, from Good Life Eats
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp maple extract
- 3 cups oats
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup dried pineapple
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk applesauce, honey, syrup, spices, and extract (Sticky and Binder ingredients) in a large bowl.
- Stir in your oats (Rolled Grain ingredients) thoroughly mixing to moisten completely.
- Mix in your nuts and dried fruit.
- Firmly press mixture in your parchment lined baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Place baking pan in freezer to firm for 1 hour.
- Remove the pan from the freezer, remove bars with parchment, and cut. Store in an airtight container for up to one week.