Irish Beef Stew
from Greens and Chocolate
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 lb beef stew meat cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 5-6 cups beef broth
- 1 cup Guinness beer
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 fresh bay leaves, or 2 dried
- 2 Tbsp salted butter
- 4 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 cups 1/2 inch peeled carrots
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, to top
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown the beef pieces. Don't overcrowd the skillet and do not stir while browning; use tongs to flip pieces over. Continue to cook until all of the pieces are lightly browned on each side; set aside.
- In skillet, add 2 more Tbsp of olive oil and add the garlic; saute 1 minute. Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add browned beef pieces, garlic, onions, carrots, potatoes, beef broth, Guinness, wine, and spices, to crockpot. Set crockpot on low for 8-9 hours, or high for 5-6 hours. Serve in bowls with some crusty bread and add extra Tomato paste if desired.