Several weeks ago, just right before my birthday, Ron and I were watching"The Best I ever Ate" chocolate special. Bad news. Long story short, we spent way too much money on chocolate from New Hampshire and peanut butter from San Francisco. Um, wayyy too much money.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (I use a small individual carton)
- 1-2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp dark cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp dark brown sugar
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 cup unsalted, roasted peanuts
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 - 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Combine applesauce, honey, and peanut butter. Whisk until smooth and heated throughout. Add cocoa powder and brown sugar; whisk until thoroughly combined (will be slightly thick).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, wheat germ, flaxseed meal, peanuts, salt, and cinnamon.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture over the oats and mix until evenly distributed.
- Spread granola mixture onto the baking sheet and sprinkle about 1/4 c of dark chocolate chips over granola.
- Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally (chocolate will melt).
- Remove granola to cool for 15 minutes. Mix in remaining chocolate chips and stir.
- Keep granola in an airtight container for up to one week. Enjoy!