Waldorf Salad with Steel-Cut Oats
from Cooking Light
Yield: about 4 servings
- 1 cup steel-cut oats, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 tsp honey
- 1/8 tsp ground red pepper
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups diced Granny Smith apple (about 1 large)
- 1 1/2 cups torn radicchio
- 1 1/2 cups seedless red grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese (or blue cheese crumbles)
- Combine oats, 1 cup water, and 1/2 tsp kosher salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 7 minutes (do not stir) or until liquid almost evaporates. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork. Place oats in a medium bowl, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Combine walnuts, honey, and red pepper in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat; cook until 4 minutes or until nuts are fragrant and honey is slightly caramelized, stirring occasionally.
- Combine remaining 1/2 tsp salt, olive oil, vinegar, and black pepper in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add dressing, apple, radicchio, and grapes to oats; toss well. Place 1 1/2 cups oat mixture on each of 4 plates, and top each serving with about 3 Tbsp walnut mixture and 2 Tbsp of crumbled cheese.