You can easily prepare this roast in a stockpot if you don't have a crockpot or don't want to spend all day waiting for dinner! Steps 1, 2, 6, 7, and 8 are the same. But instead of using a crockpot, place your beef in a large stockpot. Bring the beef broth to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover the stockpot tightly. Simmer for 2 hours. After 2 hours of simmering, add the vegetables and continue to cook, covered, for 30-45 minutes or until the pot roast and veggies are fork tender. Then remove your pot roast and veggies from the stockpot and proceed with the next steps to make the gravy.
Hearty Pot Roast Dinner
from Washington Ranchers, Rathbun Angus Ranch
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 tsp seasoned pepper blend or garlic-pepper seasoning
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 boneless beef chuck shoulder pot roast (2 - 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil (optional if doing step #2)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pound small red-skinned potatoes, cut in half, or into quarters if large
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 2-1/2 x 1/2- inch pieces
- 2 medium parsnips, cut into 2-1/2 x 1/2- inch pieces
- 1 small leek (white and pale green parts only), cut in half lengthwise then crosswise into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- Combine pepper blend and minced garlic to season the beef. Press evenly onto all surfaces of beef pot roast.
- If desired, heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown pot roast on all sides. Pour off drippings and season beef with salt.
- Place potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and leeks in bottom of 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 quart slow cooker; top with seasoned pot roast.
- Pour beef broth around pot roast. Cover and cook on HIGH for 5-6 hours or LOW for 8-1/2 to 9-1/2 hours, or until pot roast is fork tender.
- Remove pot roast from crockpot.
- Skim fat from cooking liquid and measure 2 cups into medium saucepan (add beef broth or water to cooking liquid to yield 2 cups, if necessary).
- Combine water and cornstarch; stir into cooking liquid. Bring cooking liquid and cornstarch to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until mixture has thickened.
- Carve pot roast into thin slices. Season with salt, as desired. Serve with vegetables and gravy.