Yesterday morning, I ventured to the doctor to get checked on, again. I expected it - which is why I put off the appointment - but she asked if I was doing it intentionally, alluding to a possible eating disorder. Trust me, I'd be eating something if I could and I told her the same. It's complicated when trying to explain this problem. To say I "don't have an appetite" is a severe understatement. Some of you might recall that the reason I had such a poor showing at the 2010 Twin Cities Marathon was because I had no calories in my system... so for over a year, I have had far too many days where I go without eating anything, for weeks at a time. We'll see what happens ... I'm really not trying to be a hypochondriac and it's likely nothing serious but I wanted to at least explain my absence from posting.
So why is there a picture of a cupcake here? Well, I realized that today marks the second-year anniversary of PB and Graham. And even though I haven't posted as much during this past year, I still love my blog and I still continue to research recipes. At some point, my appetite will return and I will once again start making new things. But for now, I will celebrate my two-year anniversary with some delicious cupcakes that I made for a dinner that Ron and I had over the summer. Even though we ate them in August, I still remember how awesome they were. I left off the ganache (because I grew impatient). But you can click on the Novice Chef link below if you want the extra indulgence. Happy Birthday, PB and Graham!
from the Novice Chef
Yield: 18 cupcakes
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp warm water
- 1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp instant espressor granules
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 1/8 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Reese's Pieces
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffins tins with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, combine vanilla extract, warm water, cocoa powder, and instant espresso granules. Whisk until well combined and set aside.
- Microwave butter until melted. Pour butter into stand mixer, add sugar, and mix on medium until cooled, about 4-5 minutes. Once cooled, add eggs one at a time, mix until incorporated. Add cocoa powder mixture. Reduce speed to low and add flour, alternating with the buttermilk, until just combined.
- Fill each liner 3/4 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Transfer to wire racks to cool for 15 minutes; turn out cupcakes on racks and cool completely.
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine confectioners sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and salt. Mix on medium-low until creamy. Add the cream and beat on high until the mixture is light and smooth.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and garnish with reese's pieces.